20071206

Lucky Dubai

left colorado springs at 1305 mdt after an extremely yummy meal at the COS airport restraunt just outside security with my kid and my moms

arrived atlanta at 1730 edt

attempted to get drunk at ATL in an attempt to make ATL-DBX flight a little more bearable. three stellas later, and the cute girls working the ATL concourse E bar were looking better and better and I made small talk with some ATL locals, and a Colorado Springs resident. Predictably, the conversation with my fellow Springser seemed to revolve around the familiar topics of HRC's inherent unsuitability for the highest office, the stupidity of anti-war protestors, and extremely racist theories related to the success of certain school districts in COS.

departed ATL for DBX at 2005 edt
arrived at DBX 1830 xxt

cleared immigration and customs in amazing time and took a taxi to Sofitel by 2000
I neglected to obtain currency and the DBX airport taxi was unable to accept payment via Visa or Amex. Luckily the Sofitel reception helpfully provided me with Dfa25.00 for the taxi driver while I attempted to get checked into room 934. once in my room, i washed my face and retired to the nicely appointed executive lounge on thne 11th floor. There I was treated to a spare but high quality buffet of sliced fruit and hordeurves. The fresh dates were especially tasty. I ordered a single stella and had planned on retiring to my room but the staff informed me that all my drinks were on the house.

My hotel, Sofitel, was very nice, but reminded me of a Las Vegas hotel: trying way to hard to be luxurious, and ending up seeming sort of cheesy. Overall the service was good and the room comfortable, but I'm going to have to spend more time here before I can really make a call. Looking out the windows, and scanning the local cable channels, there is obviously much, much, more to Dubai. I read some interesting stuff in the english language newspaper, not just about the recreation opportunities in the dunes and the local indoor ski area, but also some pretty disturbing hints about the different dynamics of the vast army of imported service industry and construction labor.

interesting, a group of US contractors were loudly complaining about missed flights to Kandahar, internal shop politics, and shockingly, openly discussing the large numbers of lovely eastern european prostitutes that work the area. they dished on the price for a night with a lady and some of their business practices. I had understood that they will approach wealthy (or at least well-fed, well-paid looking american contractor) types while playing pool or drinking at one of the local establishments and make themselves open to advances. More information than I needed to know and it was shocking how openly and loudly they made this seamy business known not only to the guys pouring drinks, but also to the belgians, myself, and others within earshot of their loud conversation. i ended up ordering a second, ill-advised stella in order to hear some more of the loud contractor gabfest unfolding. Had to do something since I couldn't get any internet service.

No comments: