20080114

In the palace


Today I met up with an old Army buddy of mine. We were E-4s together way back when, and he managed to stay in and is currently doing some amazing work as an E-8 here in Baghdad.

I was able to get the grand tour from him of Al-Faw Palace, one of Saddam's many here on the BIAP. I'm not too sure of the significance of it , but it appears to be a popular destination for dignitaries and USO entertainers alike.

It is a grand palace, there is no doubt and nicely achieves it's aims of being impressive and ostentatious. There are larger ( The ruined Victory over America palace), more entertaining (The perfume palace, the Flintsones Village) and there are more important (Saddam spent little time here), but this is the one I got to see, and I'm pretty stoked about it.

No comments: